Book Hotel

Check In
Checkout 06/11/2014
Rooms
  • Need 4 rooms or more? Please contact us

Room 1
Codes



Check Availablity and Book

New look of the Hotel

Artist Drawing of New Wing

Nigel Slater and the Great British Biscuit

Back in September we were one of the filming locations for Nigel Slater's new series 'The Great British Biscuit'. The scenes from this shoot can be seen on Wednesday 18th December 2013 at 9pm on BBC4. The film crew used our Scorecards Bar for the views over the West Sands beach.

We do hope you will tune in, we certainly are!


 

HISTORY

The renowned BEST WESTERN Scores Hotel opened in the 1930's. It combines a fine 1864 Victorian House (Seaton house) with an 1880's Boy's School (St Salvators School).

Seaton House

Designed by George Rae (the first native-born St Andrews citizen to become an architect) in 1864 in the Jacobean style and built for John Buddo. Seaton House was home to an institute founded in 1919 by prominent London heart specialist, Sir James Mackenzie. He conceived the idea of investigating disease before the occurrence of any structural change in any organ of the body int he hope of providing an earlier diagnosis. He thought St Andrews was an ideal place to conduct research and set up a health centre on The Scores, enlisting the help of local GPs. Each had their own consulting room and kept records od each patient's visit. This clinic carried on until after World War II when the experiment lapsed. James Mackenzie's heart is held by the University in the anatomy collection.

St Salvators School

Founded at the request of a committee of leading citizens headed by Professors Knight and Campbell. Opened in 1882, it aimed to provide boys with a good general education and to qualify candidates for Naval Cadetship. The four storey building including a library, gym and museum of natural history. The pupils were mostly day boys with a few boarders. The first headmaster was Gerald Blunt who sold the school to Alfred George Le Maitre for £4000 in 1902. Le Maitre did much to raise the profile of the school. The total number of boys never exceeded 50. Le Maitre sold St Salvators School to Mrs King in 1931, who developed it into a hotel. The Scores Hotel has been in existences since the mid 1930's.

West Sands Suites

The two historic buildings were formally joined together itn he summer of 2012 by the current owner The Mann family (who bought the hotel in 1986 from Walter Alexander of the Alexander Bus Company) with the creation of 3 additional Junior Suites which overlook the panoramic West Sands beach, hence the name 'West Sands Suites'. The outer construction is in dressed ashlar stone to match the two existing buidlings with the first and second floor suites having bay windows and the third floor suite has a balcony with wrought iron railings.

 

BUILDING WORK AT THE HOTEL

PHASE 1 - NOW COMPLETE

The first phase of our building work is now complete. It involved converting some existing accommodation into 3 new luxury suites on our lower ground floor (now known as Seaton House Suites) and 3 infill rooms on the first, second and third floors of the hotel which joined the two buildings together at the front which was only joined by a link corridor previously (now known as the West Sands Suites).

PHASE 2 - NEW WING TO REAR OF HOTEL WITH 30 ROOMS AND SUITES

This phase involves the demolition of an existing 3 bedroom owners flat to the rear of the hotel before the building of the 4 four storey, 30 room extension can start. This work has not as yet been scheduled however once started should take approximately 18 months to complete but it is anticipated that this new wing will be completed in time for the next Open Golf Championship in St Andrews in 2015.

 

BUILDING WORK CONTINUES AT HAMILTON HALL

Our next door neighbours in Hamilton Hall are converting this famous landmark into luxury apartments to be known as 'Hamilton Grand'.

Construction work has commenced and the apartments are due for completion in November 2012. Inevitably, there will be some noise and there are site offices and scaffolding next door. The contractors will be working between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday and 8am to 1pm on Saturdays.

We apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused and the contractors are working closely with us, especially when we have meetings and functions, to ensure any noisy work is minimised.